THE 29TH Congress Beirut, Lebanon September 20-23, 2018
The 29th World Congress of Assyrian Universal Alliance (AUA) took place in Beirut, Lebanon from September 20 through September 23, 2018 with participation of Assyrians from around the world. After extensive, elaborate and open discussions on the condition of Assyrians on both ancestral lands and in the Diaspora, the following resolutions were unanimously approved:
the Assyrian Universal Alliance, a representative body of Assyrian organizations worldwide
- Calls attention to the genocide against the Assyrians in the Middle East including the attacks, murder, enslavement, and forced migration of the Assyrians from Nineveh Plains and Khabour villages as well as the destruction of historical archaeological sites in Iraq and Syria;
- Is deeply and acutely concerned about the condition of Assyrians in the homeland, where Assyrians are not recognized as the indigenous people, but rather a religious minority; and
- The genocide and persecution of Assyrians before and after WWI;
- The denial of Assyrian political and national rights during the Lausanne conference and by the League of Nations, post WWI;
- The persecutions and transgressions committed against Assyrians, particularly the massacre of Simele in 1933; and
- AUA’s unwavering condemnation of all acts of terrorism worldwide; and
- The unity, sovereignty, and territorial integrity of Syria and Iraq.
NOW THEREFORE, the AUA declares the following:
- Demands that the international community and the United Nations recognize the Genocide committed by ISIS against Assyrians in Syria and Iraq.
- Appeals to the international community and the United Nations to support the Assyrians in their indigenous homelands to ensure they live in peace, equality and tranquility with their neighbors.
- Pleads for the safe return of the indigenous Assyrians to the land.
- Demands that the international community and the United Nations expedite the reconstruction efforts in the Nineveh Plains and assist with resettlement of the Nineveh Plains by the indigenous Assyrians.
- Pleads with the Lebanese government to allocate a seat in the Parliament of Lebanon for Assyrians.
- Appeals to the Lebanese government for assistance in resolving employment and educational difficulties faced by Assyrian refugees in Lebanon.
- Demands the establishment and implementation of a special program by the government of Lebanon to take all necessary measures to save and protect the Assyrian archaeological, sacred and historical sites.
- Appeals to the Government of Syria to aid with resettlement and reconstruction of the Assyrian properties in Syria.
- Demands that the Syriac language is officially recognized in the new Syrian constitution and furthermore acknowledges and declares that the Assyrians are the indigenous and original people of Syria and are given consequential representation in the Syrian government.
- Demands an investigation and immediate termination of the forced demographic changes, illegal confiscation of properties and forced closure of Assyrian Schools perpetrated by Kurdish forces in Syria.
- Demands that the Iraqi government expedite the empowerment of Assyrian security forces and Assyrian Police Force under the authority of the central Iraqi government, to ensure a safe return of the Assyrian people to Nineveh Plains and surrounding areas.
- Demands that the election rules of the Iraqi Federal and Kurdish Regional Government are modified to ensure only indigenous groups are permitted to vote for their designated representatives.
- Demand constitutional amendment to the Constitution of Iraq to recognize Assyrians as the indigenous people of the land.
- Demand the Iranian Government to address and resolve the Criminal Justice and Civil laws and practices concerning religious minority rights.
- Demands that the Syriac language is officially recognized in the constitution of Turkey and furthermore acknowledges and declares that the Assyrians are the indigenous and original people of Turkey and are given consequential representation in the Republic of Turkey.
- Demands that the government of Turkey investigate and return the illegally confiscated lands belonging to Assyrian people, organizations, and churches.
- Demands that the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees allow Assyrian IDPs and refugees to be registered as Assyrians instead of Arab/Kurd when registering refugees/IDPs.
- Demands that the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) protect and restore the Assyrian archaeological sites in Iraq and Syria and recover the stolen Assyrian artifacts.
And furthermore, the AUA:
- Extends its gratitude to the office of President Michel Aoun for delivering an encouraging and warm welcome message to the 29th AUA World Congress.
- Extends its gratitude to the offices of the Speaker of the Parliament, the Hon. Nabih Berri, Leader of the Army, Gen. Joseph Aoun, and the leader of the Lebanese Forces party, Pierre Bou Assi for sending representatives to the 29th AUA World Congress.
- Extends its gratitude to the Lebanese Government and the people of Lebanon for their gracious hospitality.
- Extends its gratitude to the Lebanese Republic for accepting the Assyrian refugees from Iraq and Syria and being a beacon of salvations for the Assyrians fleeing genocide.
- Extends its gratitude to the Republic of Armenia for being the first country in the World to officially recognize the Assyrian Genocide.
- Extends its gratitude to the Republic of Armenia for providing Assyrians with official representation in the National Assembly of the Republic of Armenia.
- Extends its gratitude to President Hassan Rouhani, the President of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and Dr. Ali Larijani, the Speaker of the Parliament of the Islamic Republic of Iran, for their encouraging messages for the 29th AUA World Congress.
- Extends its gratitude to the Iranian government for their responses to AUA’s requests in urging the Iranian Red Crescent Society for donations to the Assyrian IDPs in Iraq.
- Extends its gratitude to the United States of America for their assistance with the reconstruction efforts in the Nineveh Plains.